This Safeguarding policy applies to the Friends Group Committee Members, Volunteers who help maintain Garthorne Road Nature Reserve and/or run activities and events at the site, and individuals or organisations who (voluntary or commissioned) carry out activities and events at the garden.
1. The Friends Group’s activities do not involve working or otherwise coming into contact with children who are not with an adult carer.
2. The reserves Group’s activities are not regulated activities within the meaning of Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 and garden group members and other volunteers are not subject to DBS checks.
3. Nonetheless, we recognise that safeguarding children and vulnerable adults is vital and that as group members we have a duty of care towards any children and vulnerable adults who use the reserve.
4. We are committed to the principle that all children and vulnerable adults without exception have the right to protection from abuse regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality or beliefs.
5. The reserve does not employ paid staff – but it does have members and other volunteers. Their responsibilities are to ensure the health and safety of the environment and to manage the reserve in line with the objectives referred to above, and our volunteer policy.
6. At no time are reserve group members or other volunteers permitted to take responsibility for the care of children or vulnerable adults.
7. Children are not allowed entry to the reserve unless accompanied by an adult carer.
8. While contractors are on-site for any work at no time are they required or permitted to take any responsibility for the care of children or vulnerable adults whilst working for the Lewisham council or the reserve group.
9. In the event that- notwithstanding the above- any concerns about the welfare of children or vulnerable adults are raised, the reserve group members are committed to working with all relevant agencies to take taking appropriate actions, working to agreed local policies and procedures and legal requirements.
10. This policy will be reviewed annually, or more frequently if necessary.